Sunday, May 16, 2010

27 tough questions pastors ask


Every once in a while you read a book and think, "this is a resource I can use." There are numerous books out there for Pastors to use. Many tout answers to the church's toughest questions or a Pastor's biggest issues, few deliver. Dick Hardy's new book 27 Tough Questions Pastors Ask is one of the books that delivers. I am an avid reader and often teased about the number of books I read and those teasing swear that I can't remember all the information I've read. However, 27 Tough Questions is a book I will will remember and refer to often.

Hardy has organized the book in a very easy to navigate fashion. It reminds me of Bill Hybel's book Axioms. Short chapters, with concise and well written points. For example, we are currently in the process of interviewing a new staff member. I have paper clipped this section of his book. Hardy doesn't just "talk" about hiring he gives sample questions and specific guidance. "Get a very specific answer as to why he is leaving his current position. Force him to talk beyond 'I just feel God is moving me on.' In 99% of the cases, there is something there you need to know." And, if we make a mistake, the very next chapter is "Dismissing Staff", we're covered either way.

On a personal note, I am a staff pastor, often our positions are overlooked or negated by others...we're not considered "real" pastors. I have met Dick Hardy in person and through his book you feel his connection with all Pastors. He values the local church and understands the impact that the church has on the community. His heart and goal is to empower ALL Pastors to be the best they can be. Clear out a permanent easy to access space for this one because you'll go back to it over and over again. Each time this book is well worth the read. This books is available at www.thehardygroup.org

1 comment:

  1. I really like Axioms, and this book definitely reminded me of that one. Still VERY different, but it seems like a good parallel.

    ReplyDelete