Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Ungodliness

Last blog I talked about my bout with anger: I’m happy to report that Eric and I are good. It did make for a great conversation about only asking questions that you wanted a truthful answer to, or at least don’t ask questions you don’t want answered truthfully.

This week I’ve been reading about ungodliness. According to Jerry Bridges ungodliness as an attitude toward God, “ungodliness may be defined as living one’s everyday life with little or no thought of God, or of God’s will, or of God’s glory or of one’s dependence on God.” How do I live my “everyday life” thinking of God always, totally dependent on God? I think this is what Paul meant when he said pray without ceasing, and it’s hard to wrap my mind around. Always, all the time, every moment, dependent on God, that’s how I want to live, but do I?

I’ve spent my life trying to be independent; I’ve raised my children to be independent. Now, be dependent. This Christian walk is truly a journey. I guess instead of following a map that we have control over we need to invest in GPS. That way we are always plugged into Him. We learned to actually hear and obey that voice that says, “off course, please turn around.” I think He is speaking to us like that. Maybe that’s the picture of Godliness, we hear and obey the voice, however, more often than I would like, I mute the voice to continue on my course that seems better or quicker…Oh God that we would hear your voice and make those course corrections soon, and quickly so that we would know quickly the way you would have us to walk.

2 comments:

  1. The definition of ungodliness written by Jerry Bridges is an accurate description of how I lived my life before I went through Alpha. Now intentionally turning my thoughts to Him and letting myself be dependent upon Him is such a relief! I really do have Someone I can depend on, who will never let me down...will never leave me or forsake me! Praise God!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what does it say about me that I enjoy it when I can override my GPS instructions! :) I laugh at it when I know a better route!

    ReplyDelete